Say no to commercial coconut oil scrubsA homemade coconut oil scrub with your favorite exfoliating agent and essential oil is almost easier than going out and buying something. You also won’t have to worry about using potentially harmful additives on your body. Check out this portion of the ingredient listing for a popular and well-known beauty brand’s coconut oil scrub:
…PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant)…Carbomer (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier), Benzyl Benzoate (Solvent), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier)…Butylphenyl Methylpropional (Fragrance Ingredient), Denatonium Benzoate (Denaturant).You get the idea…and this is only half of the description. How many of these things do you know are safe?
The best body scrub? Yours!When you create your own coconut oil body scrub, you’ll only use a few all-natural ingredients, which are easy to find. Everything you include in your DIY scrub will be free of chemicals and other artificial elements (if chose all natural ingredients). Note the differences between salt and sugar scrubs. Salt is more abrasive than sugar and is better for rougher areas of the body like feet, elbows and legs. Unrefined sugars will be less processed and retain more nutrients, which your skin will easily absorb. It’s ideal for sensitive areas like the face and torso. If you have any cuts, avoid using the salt scrubs until they’re healed so you won’t feel the sting. Here are some DIY coconut oil scrub ideas you can make and try for yourself. All of them include coconut oil, one exfoliating ingredient and a fragrant essential oil. You can leave out the essential oil if you love a pure coconut scent. Try adding a body scrub to your shower routine, once or twice a week, and see the difference it makes.
Coconut oil sugar scrubsFrom NewLeaf Wellness: Ingredients
- ¼ to ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Raw Organic Solid Coconut Oil,
- ½ teaspoon Citrus (grapefruit, lemon, orange) Essential Oil (for added citrus scent, add one tablespoon of citrus fruit zest)
- Combine everything in bowl
- Store it in a glass jar or plastic tubs
- Make sure you don’t use this scrub on your face, due to the citric acid.
Coconut oil salt and coffee scrubsFrom Collective Evolution: Here’s a personal-sized one-time use body scrub. Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon Raw Organic Coconut Oil,
- 2 to 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 drop Peppermint Oil
- 2 tablespoons Epsom Salt (this is will have best nutritive benefit for your skin)
- Combine the oils first in a small bowl
- Add the salt
- Use and enjoy your smooth skin
- 2 cups of Warmed Raw Organic Coconut Oil (it doesn’t have have to liquified, just soft enough to mix)
- 1 cup Salt (any kind will do)
- Several drops of your favorite Essential Oil.
- Mix all the ingredients together in small bowl
- Store in a sealed glass jar