Last Updated on June 1, 2023 by Kapuluan
We recently surveyed a few of our favorite natural beauty websites and chose more anonymous tips to share here. Some might sound incredible, but give them a whirl and see if they become your new favorite self-care secret.
Coconut Oil Beauty for Hair
1. Dandruff Tamer
This use isn’t surprising, given coconut oil’s antifungal and antimicrobial elements. In addition, it effectively takes care of the scalp dryness that creates dandruff. Rub some onto your head for five minutes, leave it on as needed, then rinse it with shampoo.
2. Gray Hair Fighter
Seeing unsightly white and gray hairs? Try this unconventional method to control them:
- Grind the leave in a few ounces of water to make a paste
- Add the leaves to the coconut oil and heat them in a small saucepan until evaporated
- Allow it to cool, then store it in a bottle or airtight container
- Use 2 to 3 times for two weeks
3. Hair Mask
Here’s a super-simple hair mask you can easily incorporate into your regular shampooing routine. Take a scoop of coconut oil after you’ve washed your hair, apply it to your wet hair, and twist it into a bun. If your hair is shorter, wrap it in a towel. Leave it on for five minutes, then rinse it out.
4. Lice Eliminator
OK, maybe you haven’t worried about this annoying infestation since grade school, but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen again. If it does, here’s an all-natural solution that is more effective than most over-the-counter brands. (Note: do this treatment when you have at least a half day to leave it on your head)
- 1 to 2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ to 1/3 cup Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- Rinse hair with apple cider vinegar, then allow hair to dry (don’t rinse hair)
- Apply coconut oil to hair, cover with a plastic cap, and leave it on for 12 to 24 hours, depending on the degree of infestation.
- Brush the oil through the hair using a fine-tooth comb, then wash it off with shampoo.
Coconut Oil Beauty for Skin
5. Face Scrub
Mix equal amounts of oil and baking soda for a rejuvenating scrub.
6. Muscle Soother
Using your regular mentholated ointment might initially feel great, but they often have an unpleasant scent. So instead, try this better-smelling recipe and see how well it relieves your soreness.
- Four teaspoons of Shea Butter
- Three tablespoons of Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- Two tablespoons of Jojoba Oil
- 6 drops each of Peppermint Essential Oil and Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Four drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- One teaspoon Beeswax
1. Melt the shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil together in a double boiler over medium heat
2. Add the essential oils and combine
3. Store in an airtight container, and massage into tired and sore muscles
7. Mole Minimizer
Here’s an easy-peasy way to get rid of those unflattering dark blemishes from your skin. Just apply coconut oil to heal them quickly and minimize pain and scarring.
8. Bathing Detoxifier
This strategy makes excellent use of coconut oil as a bath oil and a way to eliminate toxins from your body. It’s also relaxing as you soak away the stresses of your day.
- ¼ cup Epsom Salts
- ¼ cup Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- A few drops of Essential Oil
1. add all the above to a hot bath
2. Use eucalyptus or peppermint oil for the best therapeutic effect
9. Cold Sore Fighter
These irritations are right up there with pimples for the worst and most embarrassing skin problems. Apply coconut oil to heal them quickly and minimize pain and scarring.
10. Bug Bite Protector
If you dislike insect bites but hate commercial repellents full of harsh chemicals even more, make your own using coconut oil. Mix 1 cup of coconut oil with 40 to 50 drops of essential oil. Try clove, eucalyptus, mint, or lemongrass.
11. Sun Blocker and Sunburn Soother
Even though coconut oil has an SPF4 and can be used as sun care, it can also function as a sunscreen when you add zinc oxide, which helps block out the sun’s harmful rays. Have you ever seen surfers with white faces? That’s zinc, blocking out the sun and protecting the skin from the most extreme conditions with reflections off the water.
Coconut oil also makes an excellent sunburn treatment on its own.