You’re probably already aware of many of the popular coconut oil beauty uses:
But because coconut oil is such an amazing product, and an all natural one at that, there are so many coconut oil beauty tricks that we continue to discover.
We recently surveyed a few of our favorite natural beauty websites and chose some of the more unknown tips to share with you here. Some might sound incredible, but give them a whirl and see if they become your new favorite self-care secret.
Coconut Oil Beauty for Hair
1. Dandruff Tamer
This use isn’t surprising, given coconut oil’s antifungal and antimicrobial elements. It effectively takes care of the scalp dryness that creates dandruff. Just rub some onto your head for five minutes, leave on as needed, then rinse it off with shampoo.
2. Gray Hair Fighter
Seeing unsightly white and gray hairs? Try this unconventional method to control them:
- 1. Grind the leave in a few ounces of water to make a paste
- 2. Add the leaves to the coconut oil and heat them in a small saucepan until evaporated
- 3. Allow it to cool, then store in a bottle or airtight container
- 4. Use 2 to 3 times for two weeks
3. Hair Mask
Here’s a super-simple hair mask you can easily incorporate into your regular shampooing routine. Take scoop of coconut oil after you’ve washed your hair, apply it on your wet hair and twist it into a bun. If your hair is shorter, wrap it in a towel. Leave it on for five minutes, then rinse out.
4. Lice Eliminator
OK, maybe you haven’t worried about this annoying infestation since grade school, but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen again. In case it does, here’s an all-natural solution that is more effective than most over-the-counter brands. (Note: do this treatment when you have at least a half day to leave it on your head)
- 1 to 2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ to 1/3 cup Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- 1. Rinse hair with apple cider vinegar, then allow hair to dry (don’t rinse hair)
- 2. Apply coconut oil to hair, cover with a plastic cap, and leave it on for 12 to 24 hours, depending on the degree of infestation
- 3. Brush the oil through hair, using a fine-tooth comb, then wash off with shampoo
Coconut Oil Beauty for Skin
5. Face Scrub
Mix equal amounts of oil and baking soda for a rejuvenating scrub.
6. Muscle Soother
Using your regular mentholated ointment might feel great at first, but they often have an unpleasant scent. Try this better-smelling recipe and see how well it relieves your soreness.
- 4 teaspoons Shea Butter
- 3 tablespoons Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons Jojoba Oil
- 6 drops each Peppermint Essential Oil and Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 4 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 teaspoon Beeswax
- 1. Melt the shea butter, coconut oil and jojoba oil together in a double boiler over medium heat
- 2. Add the essential oils and combine
- 3. Store in an airtight container, and massage into tired and sore muscles
7. Mole Minimizer
Here’s an easy-peasy way to get rid of those unflattering dark blemishes from your skin. Just apply some coconut oil on them to heal them quickly and minimize pain and scarring.
8. Bathing Detoxifier
This strategy makes great use of coconut oil as a bath oil and a way to eliminate toxins from your body. It’s also relaxing as you soak away the stresses of your day.
- ¼ cup Epsom Salts
- ¼ cup Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- A few drops of Essential Oil
- 1. Just add all the above to a hot bath
- 2. Use eucalyptus or peppermint oil for the best therapeutic effect
9. Cold Sore Fighter
These irritations are right up there with pimples for the worst and most embarrassing skin problems. Apply some coconut oil on them to heal them quickly and minimize pain and scarring.
10. Bug Bite Protector
If you dislike insect bites but hate commercial repellents which are full of harsh chemicals even more, just make your own using coconut oil. Mix 1 cup coconut oil with about 40 to 50 drops of essential oil. Try clove, eucalyptus, mint or lemongrass.
11. Sun Blocker and Sunburn Soother
Even though coconut oil has an SPF4 and can be used as suncare, it can also function as a sunscreen when you add zinc oxide, which helps block out the suns harmful rays. Have you ever seen surfers with white faces? That’s zinc, blocking out sun and protecting the skin from the most extreme conditions with reflections off the water.
Coconut oil also makes a great sunburn treatment on its own.