Many of the health benefits of coconut oil for humans also apply to animals.
There are unlimited health benefits of coconut oil for animals. We started researching ways to use coconut oil for pets when our cat came running everytime we opened our coconut oil. We knew he really loved it because he would make this funny purring sound as he ran towards us licking his chops. We’ve been giving coconut oil to our dogs and cats ever since.
Last month we were in Bali Indonesia and even the monkeys went crazy for our coconut oil. If you know monkeys, you know they don’t ask permission, so we didn’t have much choice in the matter. They drained our tube pretty quickly.
Coconut Oil for Animals
Coconut oil* can help aid pets’ digestion, improve their coats, help prevent infection and more. Carnivorous animals like cats and dogs would have consumed a high amount of saturated fat in the wild and the beneficial fats in coconut oil are a great way to make sure they are getting enough in their diets.
It can be given internally or applied externally, and can provide remedies for many skin infections. It can disinfect cuts, heal wounds quickly, deodorize your pet’s skin, and improve general skin and coat conditions.
Unlike most herbal products that are good for your pet’s health, coconut is something that most animals love to eat. We’ve seen dogs, cats, monkeys, squirrels, bears, crabs, and even have a love affair with coconut oil. They know what’s good for them!
Many vets and researchers today are recommending the regular use of coconut oil for dogs and many other pets as an excellent source of nutrients, which keeps your pet in good health.
HOW MUCH TO GIVE THEM?
We give our pets coconut oil in their food every day and use it externally on their coats. Here’s what we do:
- – Our cat gets a teaspoon a day in food (we started with 1/4 of a teaspoon and worked up over a month)
- – Our dog (about 55 lbs) gets 2 tablespoons a day in food (we started with 1 teaspoon and worked up over a month)
- – To help ward off fleas, both get brushed with coconut oil every few weeks, especially in summer
- – For any dry skin or skin issues, we use coconut oil (or honey) on the skin as needed
- – Nursing puppies get coconut oil added to first foods when they start eating
BENEFITS OF COCONUT OIL FOR ANIMALS: THE SCIENCE
- The major benefit of coconut oil comes from the fats it’s made of. Coconut oil is almost exclusively (more than 90%) saturated fat and is one of the few foods that can be classified as a superfood.
MCT’s are coconut oils secret weapon. Medium chain triglycerides (MCT) is a good fat, the kind that provides an array of benefits which include digestion improvement, immune system support, metabolic function that assists with weight loss, skin and coat health and thyroid health.
- MCT is made up of Lauric Acid, Capric Acid, Caprylic Acid, Myristic Acid and Palmitic. Coconut oil also contains about 2% linoleic acid (polyunsaturated fatty acids) and about 6% oleic acid (monounsaturated fatty acids). Lauric acid has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. Capric and caprylic acid also have similar properties as lauric acid and are best known for their anti-fungal effects.
In addition, MCTs are efficiently metabolized to provide an immediate source of fuel and energy, enhancing athletic performance and aiding weight loss. In dogs, the MCTs in coconut oil balance the thyroid, helping overweight dogs lose weight and helping sedentary dogs feel energetic.
- Coconuts are an excellent source of nutrition and have healthful meat, juice, and oil. The oil is arguably the most nutritious and has many health benefits. Coconut oil has antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antifungal properties, as well as antioxidants that help in the absorption of other minerals.
Lauric acid in coconut oil in combination with oregano oil, has even been found more effective in fighting the staph bacteria than antibiotics. Lauric acid has also been shown to be preventative against some cancers. Coconut Oil is over 40% lauric acid, the richest source naturally available.
HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT
- Clears up eczema
- Aids flea allergies, contact dermatitis and itchy skin
- Minimizes odor
- Reduces allergic reactions
- Creates sleek and glossy coats
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections
- When applied topically coconut oil promotes wound healing
- Also can help with hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
- Improves digestion
- Increases nutrient absorption
- Helps with colitis and inflammatory bowl syndrome
- Reduces or eliminates bad breath
- Helps with coughing
- Assists with weight loss
- Powerful antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal agents
- Balances insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
- Helps prevent or control diabetes
- Aids arthritis and ligament problems
- Helps prevent infection and disease
- Aids in increasing energy
We recommend only using a high quality, unrefined Raw Coconut Oil whether it’s for you or your pet. Pick up some Kapuluan Raw Organic Coconut Oil for your pet today!