Last Updated on May 29, 2023 by Kapuluan
A DIY coconut oil body butter is one of the most straightforward and most economical beauty products you can make at home.
Summer is almost here, so you want to prepare for a more sun-friendly wardrobe with tank tops, shorts, and swimsuits. But your skin might still feel the effects of winter and need some serious moisture to get that base tan down.
Body butter will be profoundly moisturizing and help much more than your regular lotion. With their more excellent emollient properties, butters are occlusive, coating and protecting the skin from outside elements. They moisturize your skin more intensively and take a little longer to absorb into the pores.
Why Your Skin Needs DIY Coconut Oil Body Butter
Body butters are ideal for all-over body hydration, especially for rough patches on your feet, elbows, and other stubbornly dry areas. But avoid using them on your face because the slower absorption rate may clog the pores and cause breakouts.
Ensure your product doesn’t have a heavy, clogging ingredient like lanolin that can cause breakouts on oilier skin types.
How do you ensure that happens? Make a DIY coconut oil body butter using natural ingredients proven to nourish your skin and help it to look its best.
A Whipped Delight with Coconut Oil
From RadiantLife: When you first look at this recipe, you might think you’re baking something delicious. But it’s simply taking some coconut, vitamin E, and essential oils and combining everything with a hand or standing mixer.
Kayla, the blogger from RadiantLife, mentions that adding the oils is optional, so you might want to slather on the coconut oil as is. But if you want more of an actual body butter, try this.
By the way, you can find an identical recipe on the Living the Nourished Life website. However, the blogger Elizabeth warns against using a blender or food processor to make the body butter. She says these appliances heat the oil and won’t give a whipped consistency.
Another helpful tip she offers: your butter will keep its soft consistency, even in super-cold temperatures. Try both ways and see what works for you.
- 1 cup Raw Cold Pressed Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil
- Essential Oil of your choice
- 1. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl or blender.
- 2. If using a mixer, attach a whipping accessory or turn on the “whip” setting on the blender for 6 to 7 minutes.
- 3. Pour the mixture into a sealable container and label it.
DIY Coconut Oil Body Butter Plus
From WellnessMama: Make this deluxe tropical-themed concoction if you want more in your body butter than just the basics. Mix coconut oil with some coconut or mango butter, shea butter, light oil, and essential oils. This recipe also involves some cooking, but nothing complicated or dangerous.
- ½ cup Raw Cold Pressed Organic Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Cocoa Butter or Mango Butter and Shea Butter
- ½ cup almond, jojoba, or extra-virgin olive oil
- Essential oil of your choice (optional)
- Double boiler or glass bowl
- Glass jar with lid
- Combine all the ingredients, except the essential oil, in the double boiler or glass bowl.
- Heat to medium on the stove and constantly stir until melted
- Remove from heat and cool slightly, and add 10 to 30 drops of essential oil, if desired
- Refrigerate for about an hour to let the mixture harden (it should still be soft)
- Take the mixture out, and using a hand mixer, whip it until fluffy (about 10 minutes)
- Refrigerate again for 15 minutes or so
- Store in a glass jar (if your room becomes warmer than 75 degrees, you may want to keep it in the refrigerator)
Making a DIY coconut oil body butter is a great way to add an all-natural and deeply moisturizing piece to your summer skin beauty lineup. It’s also fun and economical. Get creative!